March 25, 2014
2006-present: Professor Emerita of Physics and of Graduate Group of Applied Mathematics(GGAM).
1986-2006: Professor of Physics and of Graduate Group of Applied Mathematics (GGAM), UC Davis;
1969-1986: Brookhaven National Laboratory, Long Island, New York, to Senior Physicist; High Energy Theory Group Leader 1981-1984;
1967-1969: research member at Institute for Advanced Studies, Princeton, New Jersey;
1966: Ph.D. in physics, UC Berkeley.
* Fellow of American Physical Society , since 1984.
* ASUCD Excellence in Education Award : Recognized as a Distinguished University of California, Davis Educator, May 19, 2004 ;
* Bicycle champion of Tainan (3rd largest city in Taiwan), 1956;
Areas of research: High Energy Physics and Mathematical Physics. See more details.
Chau Remembering Steven Weinberg 2021-8-18 postSnt
Chau Remembering Prof.Chew inMemoVol-WS postd2021Jan
Chau TNGS100 talk2017Dec19
Chau PhysicsTodayObi Mandelstam 2017May
Chau biogSlctPaprs MandelstamMemo WSpub2017
Chau YM60Proc WSpub2016May
Some papers used in Chau’s recent talks
* Phase Direct CP Violations and General Mixing Matrices.
Phys. Lett. B651 (2007) 293-297.
* Comments on the Parametrization of the Kobayashi-Maskawa Matrix
Phys. Rev. Lett. 53 (1984) 1802-1805.
* Quark Mixing in Weak Interactions,
Phys. Rept. 95 (1983) 1-95,
* Phenomenology of CP Violation from the Kobayashi-Maskawa Model,
in AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 72, 1980, p. 419 (Eds: G.B. Collins, L.N. Chang, J.R. Ficenec)
* “Almost Every Problem He Touched Eventually Turned Into Gold”
Talk presented at and to appear in the proceedings,
<<STATISTICAL PHYSICS< HIGH ENERGY, CONDENSED MATTER AND MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS Proceedings of the Conference in Honor of CN Yang’s 85th Birthday>>
Editors: C. H. Oh, K. K. Phua, N. P. Chang and L. C. Kwek
Publisher: World Scientific
Publication Date: 2008
* For a popular account on the current status of the physical sciences, see Chau’s Physics 10B web page:
Conferences and lectures organized with Proceedings:
* Link to Title page and Contents of the Proceedings of NATO
International Conference on Differential Geometry in Theoretical Physics, 1988 July 2-8, UC Davis,
Organizers and Editors: Ling-Lie Chau and Werner Nahm.
* Link to Title page and Contents of the Proceedings of Nankai lectures on Mathematical Physics by Chern, Yang, Faddeev, and Chau, 1987-8,
Ed. Song Xing-Chang.
* Link to Title pages, photos, and Contents of the Proceedings of Yukawa50, Kyoto, 1985.
* Link to Title page, contents, and photos of Proceedings “Flavor Mixing in Weak Interactions”, Erice, 1984, Ed. Ling-Lie Chau.
Books in preparation:
* Ling-Lie Chau, “Basic Mathematics for the Physical Sciences, ” will be published by University Science and has been used for Physics 204A,B at UC Davis and for Physics 170A at CSU Fresno.
* Ling-Lie Chau, “Group Theory for the Fundamental Laws of Physics,” in a draft stage and has been used for Physics 223B at UC Davis.
Courses by Chau listed on the web:
Chau’s Physics 223B Fall 2006p web
Chau’s Physics 223B Fall 2004 web
Chau’s Physics 223B Fall 2003 web
Chau’s Physics 104A Fall 2003 web
Chau’s Physics 104C Spring 2003p web
Chau’s Physics 104C Spring 2001 web
Chau’s Physics 10B Winter 2005p web
Chau’s Physics 10B Winter 2005 web
Chau’s Physics 10B Winter 2004 web
Chau’s Davis Honors Challenge 2001 web
Chau’s Davis Honors Challenge 2002 web
Profiles and Charitable Givings:
Chau profile 2019APS-CUWIP UCD with addendum
Chau profile UC Davis Magazine Fall2014 web_long
Chau profile UC Davis Magazine Fall2014 web
Chau profile UC Davis LS_Magazine Fall2014 web_long
Chau profile UC Davis LS_Magazine Fall2014 web
Chau profile UC Berkeley CalFutures Fall2014 web_long
Chau profile UC Berkeley CalFutures Fall2014 web
Graduate Student Award for Brain Research
* American Physical Society;
* American Association for Advancement of Science;
* American Association of Physics Teachers.